I have been wanting to learn to sew for years now, mainly so that I could make my own clothing but now, thanks mainly to Pinterest, I want to make home decor items. I sought out Debra, one of my favorite friends of my mom to teach me the basics. We went to 3 fabric stores just to browse, and also because I am partial to more youthful geometric patterns and turns out those are so easy to come by. We decided the best task for my first project would be a 16x16 throw pillow for my couch. I chose and red and cream colored chevron pattern as well as a black and white funky pattern.


After going over the basics, turning on my very own sewing machine which I also got today :), threading the needle and practicing on a funny looking denim pouch with 70s floral print flap I was ready to start the pillow.


I just made one today with guidance and will made 1 or 2 more on my own before my next lesson on Thursday! I bought enough fabric to make two pillows in each of the patterns.

I had so much fun today and felt so accomplished when my pillow was complete!!!


Over the course of my next lessons I hope to make outdoor seat cushions, a table runner, corresponding curtains, a clutch purse and a unique game day dress :) so stay tuned!!